Should I mention only three characteristics of the following dishes meaty version, for sure everybody will know what I am thinking of: – I’m convinced everybody knows it
– it’s version with meat is very unhealthy
– it’s ready in a blink of an eye if you have the burger ready…
Come on, let’s admit it that even we, vegans, sometimes have a craving for a nice, juicy, big hamburger. Life is so strange. Personally I was never a big hamburger fan but this meatless NON-BURGER, made by myself, drives me and my whole family crazy. It has only vegan ingredients and is absolutely faaantastic!
It’s secret lies in the meatless patties which look similar to the burger patties with meat. In this case the main ingredients are cooked black or adzuki beans, or a blend of any other dark beans, brown or/and wild rice, walnuts and bread crumbs. Of course the NON-BURGER’s taste is given by the spices and the seasoning. That’s the key of success here.
So, let’s see the secret:
- 150 g boiled brown rice or mix of boiled brown and wild rice
- 120 g walnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon cold pressed oil (and a little more for the frying)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 1 spoon from each of the following spices: chili, ground cumin, sweet red paprika powder
- 1/2 spoon of the following spices: Himalayan salt, ground black pepper
- 220 g boiled and strained black or adzuki beans
- 20 g bread crumbs
- 3-4 ek vegan, home made BBQ sauce
In a medium non sticky pan fry the walnuts and the bread crumbs until golden brown. Put it on the side to cool.
Meanwhile, in another pan heat a spoon of oil and sautee the onion, till soft. Season with salt and pepper and set on the side.
Place the walnuts and the bread crumbs in mixer’s bowl and grind them into larger pieces.
In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth, leaving few beans half mashed. Add the sauteed onion to the beans, along with the rest of the ingredients, the rice, the walnuts and the breadcrumbs mix, the home made BBQ sauce, spices, mixing to combine them well.
Make around like 5 bean burgers and fry them on a small amount of oil until slightly firm and golden brown. It gets ready in around 3 minutes on each side. You can cook them on a grill as well.
Home made BBQ sauce – ingredients:
- 200 ml homemade ketchup
- 2 table spoon apple vinegar or balm vinegar
- 2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 4-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoon sweet, red paprika
- 2 teaspoon sea or Himalaya salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
Place the sugar in a large pan and heat it until it gets caramelized then add the rest of ingredients. Start heating the mixture, stirring continuously until starting to boil. Ready.
How to assemble the vegan burger?
Cut the whole grain bun in halves, or we can use two slices of whole grain bread, grill them for 1-2 minutes on the cut sides than spread them immediately with the home made BBQ sauce. Add the NON-BURGER patty, some green lettuce, 2-3 thinly cut round tomato slices, 1-2 round red onion slices, and put on the top the grilled bun or bread slice.
Tips and tricks:
- if you would like to prepare a fit, low carb burger you can use lettuce instead of the buns. Just place the vegan burger on top of the lettuce, add some onion, tomato, cucumber slices, BBQ sauce and just wrap all together.