When the weather is cold outside I feel like I need more sunshine and warmth indoor. These are the moments when yellow and orange colored cooked food conquer my plates. Once the cold season settles legumes, which are anyway one of my top favorites, are more and more often welcome in my kitchen.
These two needs met in this beloved red lentil recipe with marinated tofu cubes, seasoned and colored in the same way.
The essence of the recipe is hidden in its simplicity, color, mostly winter veggies and combination of the spices.
RED LENTIL CURRY WITH LEEK AND MARINATED, OVEN COOKED TOFU
RED LENTIL CURRY WITH LEEK
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- little ginger as a walnut size (peeled and grated)
- one little chili pepper or some hot pepper paste
- 2 spoons cold pressed olive oil
- 200 g red lentil, rinsed and drained
- 400 ml water
- 1 teaspoon dried veggie mix
- 1/2 teaspoon curcuma
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
- 2 shredded or chopped carrots
- little coriander crushed
- crushed white pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add the leek and cook until translucent. Add the ginger and the chili and cook for few minutes.
After, add the lentils, the shredded or chopped carrots, the curry powder or garam masala and cook for one more minute while stirring.
Pour the water and add in the dried veggie mix, cover it cook for 10 more minutes on medium heat until the lentils are done.
MARINATED, OVEN COOKED TOFU CUBES
- 200 g tofu, bio, organic non GMO
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- little walnut size ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- one spoon cold pressed sunflower seed oil
- 1 spoon bio, soy sauce
Cut the tofu into 1 cm cubes. From the oil, soy sauce and spices make a marinade and soak the tofu cubes in it for at least 30 minute.
Preheat the oven at 1800C. Place the baking paper on a baking tray, put the tofu cubes on it and fry them for 20-25 minutes until become golden brown and crispy.
- The red lentils are getting done very fast, especially if you soak them for few minutes before. Be careful, to stop the heat before they are completely cooked and become translucent because they continue to soften even after this, for a few more minutes.
- Instead of carrots you can prepare this winter recipe with pumpkin cubes or/and sweet potatoes, as well.